I will fight racism, sexism, classism, Islamophobia and homophobia at every level of our government and society, and I pledge to always prioritize a person’s basic human rights regardless of race, gender identity, religion, or class.
We must invest in quality schools for all communities and comprehensive criminal justice reform. We must fight inequity and discrimination in policy and ensure equal opportunities to all.
Criminal Justice Reform and End Police Brutality
- We must fight racism in all aspects of our society, and especially in the Criminal Justice system. Michigan has a 14% African American population, yet our prisons and jails are 49% filled by African Americans.
- Stop funding our prisons more than we fund our schools. 1 out of every 5 taxpayer dollars goes toward corrections.
- We must end the school-to-prison pipeline, and invest resources in schools and after-school activities in low-income communities and communities of color.
- Eliminate the system of cash bail, which privileges people with higher incomes in the CJ system.
- Expand restorative justice systems in the criminal justice system, as well as in our public schools.
- End mandatory minimum sentencing laws and increase opportunities for parole, rather than eliminate them. Michigan incarcerates inmates an average of 50% longer than the national average.
- We must improve prison conditions, afford our incarcerated neighbors basic human rights, and expand opportunities for mental health treatment, counseling, and educational opportunities within correctional facilities.
- End Solitary Confinement.
- Provide substance abuse treatment. Addiction is a disease, not a crime.
- Provide our returning citizens with the resources to secure safe housing and a steady job, and reduce rates of recidivism.
- I support the legalization of marijuana and retroactivity in commuting the sentences of people charged with marijuana-related crimes
- We must support pathways to citizenship for our undocumented neighbors.
- We must oppose ICE raids and fight systems of deportation.
- We must support the DREAMers, and make it easier, not harder, for immigrants to make a life in this country.
- We must oppose the Muslim Ban, celebrate the rich diversity of Detroit and Hamtramck, and ensure that everyone feels welcome here.
- Families belong together. We must fight the inhumane practice of separating parents from their children at our Southern border.
- We must amend the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act to outlaw discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity in employment, housing, and education.
- Protect any couple’s right to adopt a child, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Support transgender people, and abolish the law stating a person must have gender affirming surgery, a name change, and a medical affidavit before they can legally change their gender.
- We must protect LGBTQ youth against homelessness, hate crimes and bullying, and provide inclusive physical and mental health services.
- We must make HIV prevention and treatment accessible and affordable to all people. We must fight homophobia and stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS.
- We must close the wage gap for all women. Women in Michigan are overall paid 74 cents for every dollar paid to a man; yet for women of color, the gap is even wider, at 64 cents for black women and 57 cents for Latina women.
- Support a woman’s right to choose. Defend Roe v. Wade and create state legislation that will guarantee a woman’s right to govern her own body.
- Reform Michigan’s paid leave policy, and support parents in caring for their children without compromising their pay.
- Provide cost-free women’s healthcare, including contraception and prenatal services.