Labor & the Economy Policy Plan
We need the economy to work for everyone. We need to make sure people working full-time can earn a living wage, curb the power and influence of corporations, and allow families to grow without having to sell an arm and a leg to survive.
We Must Support Working Families
- Raise the Minimum Wage to $15/hour so that any person working 40 hours in a week can still support themselves and their family.
- We must increase the Tipped Minimum Wage as well to support workers in the service industry.
- We must reform our policy of paid leave, and support families who are raising children and taking care of relatives.
- We must address unemployment in Detroit, which is nearly double the state and national unemployment rate.
We Must Support our Unions
- We need to support workers’ rights to unionize and a union’s right to collective bargaining.
- Reinstate Prevailing Wage to ensure fair wages to construction workers on state-financed projects, and protect workers from being exploited by the government.
- Workers in the process of unionizing must be protected from losing their jobs. No one can be fired for joining a union.
We Must Fight for Fair Employment
- We must address employment discrimination, and ensure that people of color, women, LGBTQ+, and differently abled people have equal opportunities for employment.
- I will fight for small business owners and stand up to corporations to ensure everyone has equal opportunity in our economy.